Believe it or not, spring break 2021 is already here — at least when it comes to places like West Palm Beach, Florida.
You can generally expect a lot of fun and excitement in the area around this time of year, but that also means you can expect a lot more people than normal to be out on the streets — whether walking, rolling on skates, riding motorcycles or driving.
Florida areas have long held an unfortunately high spot on the Pedestrian Danger Index, so a coalition of governmental authorities and law enforcement agencies have joined with non-profit groups to kick off the “Best Foot Forward” campaign. Their goal is educating drivers, bikers and pedestrians alike about crosswalk safety.
Crosswalk rules to live by
Here are some of the top things everybody needs to remember about crosswalk safety:
- Pedestrians should always use marked crosswalks whenever possible.
- Obey the crossing lights, but still look both ways before stepping into the road.
- Try to make eye contact with any approaching driver so they’re aware of you.
- Drivers must always yield to pedestrians, even if they’re not in a crosswalk.
- Drivers should always come to a complete stop at every red light.
- No driver should proceed in a turn or through a crosswalk until every pedestrian has cleared the way.
- No driver should ever pass a stopped vehicle or swerve around another vehicle that is slowing down near a crosswalk.
Simply put: Everybody needs to be on their best behavior and have a heightened awareness of the risks for themselves and others with whom they share the road.
Take action if you’re injured by a negligent driver
If you’ve been injured by a negligent driver, you may be facing a long recovery and a lot of medical and other bills. Working with an experienced advocate here in West Palm Beach is the best way to protect your interests against the insurance companies.